Run for Freedom
Join Hagar survivors, staff and supporters as we
Run for Freedom!
Participate in the Angkor Wat Half Marathon and raise funds to support women and children who have been trafficked or abused
Sunday, December 3, 2017
Siem Reap, Cambodia
3km, 10km or half-marathon categories
Run or walk around the picturesque temples of Angkor Wat
Imagine running through the one of the world’s most famous temples to help transform the lives of women and children who have been trafficked or abused.
Rally your family and friends to sponsor you and help raise funds and awareness to support Hagar’s work combating trafficking, slavery and abuse and directly helping those who have survived these practices to rebuild their lives.
While in Siem Reap, you will have the opportunity to learn more about Hagar’s work, meet our staff in Cambodia and run alongside survivors who we have supported through their recovery, all while exploring an incredible city and staying active!
So, what are you waiting for? Sign up and dust off your running shoes!
Scroll Down For Registration Details
Hagar is an international organisation that works directly with women and children who have been trafficked, enslaved or abused in the countries of Cambodia, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Since 1994 we have supported more than 16,000 women and children through their journey to recovery. Our mission is clear: we do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to restore life in all its fullness to those whose rights have been severely abused.
We do this by providing survivors with:
- Protection: a safe place to live until they reintegrate into the community and legal support to help protect their rights and bring the perpetrators of their crimes to justice.
- Recovery: medical care and specialist trauma counselling, enabling them to heal and build their resilience.
- Education and economic empowerment: the opportunity to catch up on missed school, go to university, receive vocational training and be placed in a job with one of Hagar’s social enterprises or more than 100 business partners.
- Reintegration: ongoing support as they reintegrate into the community.
ABOUT THE MARATHON
The Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was started in 1996 as an appeal to the world to support the ban on the use of antipersonnel mines. Runners from all over the world participate in this event and entry fees continue to support those who have been injured by landmines.
The marathon offers the chance to run on an incredibly unique course in a UNESCO world heritage listed area with ancient temples and trees – bring your camera and snap some photos along the way!
There are three distances; 3km family run/walk, 10km road race or 21km half marathon
Each category starts and finishes at the iconic Angkor Wat temple in Siem Reap and follows a flat course – so there are no killer hills!
Registration cost (price in USD)
JOIN US IN THREE EASY STEPS
1. Sign up to run
- Head to http://www.gotorace.com/event/angkor-wat-international-half-marathon-2017/
- T-shirt sizes run small so consider choosing a larger size than usual.
2. Let us know you’re in!
- Forward your confirmation of registration to email@example.com (be sure to let us know your bib number so we can collect your run-pack for you in Siem Reap.)
2. Start fundraising
- Hagar will help you set up a fundraising page
- Personalise your fundraising page with a photo, story of your connection with Hagar, why you are running and your fundraising goal (be ambitious!)
- Share your fundraising page with your friends, family, colleagues or classmates and invite them to sponsor you. Don’t forget to thank them for their donations and keep them updated with your progress.
3. Book your flights and accommodation
- A number of airlines offer budget flights from Australian capital cities to Siem Reap with just one stopover.
- We will provide a list of recommended accommodation options in Siem Reap for different price ranges. For more information, please contact us. Most accomodation in central Siem Reap sells out by late October – so secure your booking early!
- The funds you raise will come to Hagar to support our work. Participants are expected to cover all of their own expenses, including flights and other transport, accommodation, food and insurance.
- The run takes place early on the morning of Sunday December 3rd. We suggest you arrive in Siem Reap no later than the morning of Friday 1st December (Hagar meet-ups will begin on Friday afternoon).
HOW HAGAR WILL HELP YOU
1. Information and materials for your fundraising.
- We’ll provide text and images to help you set up your fundraising page. And we can provide you with a photo slideshow and other material to use if you are holding a fundraising event. Depending on where your event is, we may even be able to provide a speaker.
2. Pre-departure briefing
- We will provide you with a pre-departure briefing so you know what to expect and can ask any questions before the trip.
3. Unique opportunity to learn about Hagar’s work in Cambodia
While you are in Siem Reap, on December 2nd you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about how we support survivors of trafficking, slavery and abuse from key Hagar staff;
- Engage with Hagar International CEO Michael Cronin and Hagar Cambodia CEO Sam Ath Chhith;
- Hear first-hand from two of Hagar’s incredible clients who have come through our programs, and;
- Be treated to a delicious buffet lunch.
You are welcome to join for any of the above activities or arrange your own. We want this to be an enriching learning experience for all involved. Be sure to follow the ChildSafe Travel Tips while in Cambodia.
Need help registering? Don’t know how much to budget? Need fundraising tips or more information about Hagar to share with your networks? Need general advice about travel in Cambodia?
Please don’t hesitate to call or email us here 03 9257 2361 or firstname.lastname@example.org.